All About Compact Medical Grade Refrigerators
The practice of preservation through refrigeration is ancient. In fact, the first evidence can be dated back to as early as 1000 BC. What started as a seasonal technique based on the availability of natural snow and ice, has now evolved into one of the most common yet crucial technologies for the current society. From preserving food to medical supplies- it is indispensable. In the world of modern medicine, refrigeration plays an important role in the safekeeping of samples, medicines, vaccines, and other supplies.
Compact medical grade refrigerators are thus an important piece of equipment in medical facilities worldwide. However, often it is seen that consumers are not fully aware of the capabilities and features of medical grade refrigerators and thus end up making the wrong choice for their needs. There are instances where people have opted for dorm refrigerators for storing medical supplies just because they were not aware of the implications. This can be a very costly mistake to make.
In this article, we thus discuss the compact medical refrigerator in detail so that you can take an informed decision while buying. Read on to learn more about its features, usage, and benefits.
What Is A Medical Grade Refrigerator?
A medical grade refrigerator refers to heavy-duty freezers and refrigerators that are designed to cater to the needs of the medical industry. These refrigerators are primarily used for storing medicines, vaccines, specimens, and other medical equipment at a preferred constant temperature. Medical refrigerators come in various sizes- ranging from full size to ones that can be kept on countertops. In this article, we primarily discuss the compact medical grade refrigerator that is relatively smaller and can be easily housed in limited spaces.
Compact medical refrigerators are commonly used by medical staff and professionals in places like hospitals, nursing homes, research facilities, medical storage units, surgery centers, and even in crime labs.
Medical grade refrigerators have certain unique characteristics that set them apart from the regular refrigerators that we commonly see in homes and shops. Some of these distinguishing features are as follows-
- Unlike their commercial counterparts, medical grade refrigerators have separate refrigeration and freezing units. This is done in order to allow for better storage of samples by dedicating entire units to one purpose only.
- Very strict temperature control is maintained through the implementation of digital thermostats and high-temperature alarms.
- Internal fans are installed to circulate the air effectively and maintain the unit at a uniform temperature. This is crucial for the proper storage of medical supplies.
- Most medical grade refrigerators come with microprocessor control mechanisms.
- Glycol bottles within the refrigerators hold the temperature probes and allow the internal temperature to be accurately assessed.
- Compact medical refrigerators are designed within certain dimensions so that they can be easily installed or plugged in small areas. They are often suitable to be kept under tables or on countertops and in other similar tight spaces.
Advantages of A Compact Medical Refrigerator
Medical refrigerators are a necessity when it comes to storing medical supplies and other related items. As per the guidelines given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), items like vaccines must be stored between 36℉ and 46℉ in the refrigerator section and between -58℉ and 5℉ when in the freezer. Failure to maintain this temperature range can result in the vaccines being thrown away. In 2007, CDC estimated that hundreds of thousands of viable doses of vaccines had to be thrown out due to such incorrect storage measurements.
Medical grade refrigerators allow professionals to adhere to such standards while keeping their supplies in perfect conditions. Some of the most tangible benefits of using compact medical refrigerators are thus as follows-
- Medical grade refrigerators are designed to maintain constant internal temperatures. They also have temperature monitoring mechanisms installed so that warnings can be given if the unit becomes too hot or cold. This prevents the stored medicines and/or vaccines from going to waste.
- The wired shelving inside these refrigerators allow adequate airflow and thus stores each individual item at substantial temperature conditions.
- Lack of door shelves means that items are not constantly exposed to the outside temperature every time the refrigerator is opened.
- The presence of locking mechanisms means that these refrigerators cannot be easily accessed by non-authorized personnel. This is especially important when high-value medical items are stored in them.
- Additional features like open-door alarms and hospital-grade cords make compact medical refrigerators robust and better suited to store sensitive medical supplies and pieces of equipment.
As discussed, compact medical grade refrigerators are designed to store medical supplies, vaccines, medicines, specimen, etc. Some examples of the specific use cases for these refrigerators are as given below-
- Storage of certain medicines and drugs like insulin.
- Storage of vaccines according to the CDC guidelines.
- Preservation of samples of blood, blood plasma, and/or other specimens.
- Storage of pharmaceutical and medical equipment.
In other words, medical grade refrigerators and freezers are used for the storage of sensitive medical and pharmaceutical products that need to be kept within a certain temperature range to remain effective.
Looking for A Compact Medical Refrigerator?
The proper storage and preservation of things like vaccines and drugs is essential. Medical refrigerators are designed meticulously for that purpose only. Using a compact medical grade refrigerator prevents costly medicines and vaccines from being rendered useless by improper storing methods. Knowing in detail about compact medical grade refrigerators is thus considered essential in order to make the right decision while buying.
If you are looking for a suitable compact medical grade refrigerator for your storage requirements, then we are here to help you. At American Biotech Supply, we are dedicated to catering to the needs of our customers. Our company's mission is to provide our clients with a full range of temperature-controlled refrigeration equipment. Our products are designed to meet demands from various sectors- laboratories, clinical research, healthcare centers, and pharmaceutical units.
We have more than 25 years of experience in the field and take great care to offer compelling solutions to our customers at competitive prices. For more information about our products and solutions, please get in touch with us today.